Sunday, March 8, 2009

Riding out winter

Riding on ice and snow. It's not as bad as I thought. I mounted knobbies on our mountain bikes and started the season at Tobyhanna State Park. It was a much better season opener than last year.
Bonnie did great too. She said her arms were exhausted from "hanging on to the handlebars for life."

I have been using the rollers all winter and have kept in fairly good shape. The rollers have been great. It has allowed me to test ride different incarnations of my bikes and try out adjustments that I make to the bike.

Keeping up training during winter is tough. During the winter last year we needed to use up a couple months' worth of gym membership. Going to the gym was alright. It was the journey from the car to the gym that was arduous. Funny how a short walk of a mere few seconds through the parking lot could be the deterrent to a workout. But it's really the cold. And going to the gym was no longer fun. We were just going in order to use up the membership. Which was a painful thought. You've paid up, and now you have to pay more by way of time and going through the hassle. Sure, it's all in the name of fitness. I just find the gym atmosphere uncomfortable.

No comments: